The historical 1898 Hook and Hastings pipe organ at Trinity Lutheran Church in Palo Alto, CA. was completely refurbished last year.
It’s a 2 manual and pedal, 8 rank, mechanical action instrument that came to Trinity from Boston after a stay at a Roman Catholic convent in San Francisco in 1901. The nuns used this beauty for five years in its original location until the 1906 earthquake (one of the worst natural disasters in American history) that destroyed 80% of the city. Surviving the disaster, the organ was put into storage until the convent moved. It was used until 1940 when the convent moved again to the Flood Mansion.The sisters sold it. Four years later Trinity bought it for 800 clams from the Schoenstein Organ Company.
© 2013 Tyrel Bramwell